We took a break with Braulio Amado — Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and mastermind behind our OV Merch artwork — to talk design and Doing Things.
1. How do you describe what you do?
I spend too many hours looking at a computer screen while my right-hand moves around a weird ink-less pen.
2. What is the concept behind BAD Studio?
My name is a bit weird, so I decided to make everyone’s life easier and go by BAD Studio, which means B-ráulio A-mado D-esign Studio.
3. First thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
I read the news and consider going back to bed.
4. What’s your favorite piece of work you’ve created?
My friend asked me to design a skateboard for him. I did a bunch of designs and he picked the dumbest one.
5. What do you look for in a collaboration?
Someone that likes what I do and me liking what they do. There’s no point in collaborating with someone/something you don’t care about.
6. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
Such a hard question to answer! I’m listening to DEVO as I reply to these questions and I wish I was as cool as them.
7. Name your dream collaboration.
Waiting for David Byrne to let me design a cover for him.
8. How does movement play into your work?
I always try my best to make everything look energetic. Most of my work happens while I’m sitting in a chair, so creating some movement on screen/paper is a good way to trick my body and brain.
9. Do you have a recreational routine?
I bike everyday.
10. What’s your best tip for Doing Things?
Stop complaining and go do something.
11. What’s your favorite meme?
Not really a meme, but I have this gif always ready to send:
12. Rank your top ten emojis of all time.
13. Any words to live by?
I do have the words “Start Today” tattooed on my arm, mostly because it’s a Gorilla Biscuits record, but, also, words to live by.
“Stop complaining and go do something.”
14. Rank your top ten typefaces of all time.
Helvetica Light Oblique
Helvetica Black Oblique
Helvetica Condensed Bold
Helvetica Condensed Oblique
15. Could you make a quick drawing for us?
No, sorry, I still can’t believe you said “no” to this corgi I drew